Tuesday, February 26, 2008

21 weeks

So the reality is just starting to set in. We are having a son. It still sounds so strange to say. Up until this point it has just been a little alien who has invaded my body and made me feel sick and kicked me every once and awhile...now it is our son. It is a lot to wrap your mind around. I have been very emotional this last week and a half. Finding out the gender, starting the nursery and turning 27 (tomorrow) has just been a lot to take in. I don't know if you noticed, but I don't do change well. It overwhelms me. When I was a little girl and my mom would rearrange the furniture in my room I would cry until she moved it back. Change is hard for me. That said, this last week or so has been a tough one. Turning a year older, having a child, looking forward to a change in career and life as I know it....scary stuff. I know it will be wonderful and worth it and all the other things people keep telling me, but that doesn't ease the slow and steady panic I feel. I have to talk myself back from the proverbial edge about every other day. I don't mean to sound not excited, because I am. I am thrilled I was able to get pregnant and carry a healthy baby this far. I am happy that my medication and condition hasn't caused any major problems for me or the little guy in my stomach. It is just bing life changing stuff that has me constantly reflecting and questioning every decision I make, or have made, or will make etc. I am having a son....holy crap, a son.

One thing we can be sure about is he has his father's calves. Those of you who know Josh well, know the lore of the calves. The calves that could out you in a wrestling move and pop off your head with a simply flick of his knee. Some have actually deemed them "cows" they are so strong and muscular. Well, it is with those tiny calves that this kid has been kicking non-stop! I don't what the average movement is for a baby at this stage but our little one never stops. All day long, sometimes through the night. I am not eating or drinking any caffeine, so it cannot be blamed on that. I hope he settles down a bit out of the womb or I am afraid I will be chasing this kid everywhere!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Shey - I just wanted to let you know, that though I don't know what it feels like to be pregnant, I do know what it feels like to be overwhelmed by changes! I am not good at handling change myself. So just know that you are not alone and keep taking deep breaths and talking yourself off the proverbial edge.

And I think it's completely ok to be freaked out :). You're having a kid! How could you not be freaking out? :)

leigh said...

A BOY!! Oh, you guys, as an official member of the "I LOVE having a boy" club, I am so very excited for you. I cannot even begin to tell you how crazy, amazing, chaotic, and FUN it is to have a boy. He will teach you so much, Shey, about God's design for us to be inquisitive, curious, and in LOVE with His creation. And Josh, having a boy has changed Sam in profound ways. Parker LOVES his daddy so much. Blessings, you guys. What a gift.

Unknown said...

Hey Guys, just wanted to say a quick hello! Thanks for the heads up on your blog Shey and what amazing photos, inside your belly!?! That's so crazy!

We are so thrilled for you two and will be praying for a peace that surpasses understanding during this time!

Shey, i hope you got some balloons for your birthday!

Love you two...three!

Ewall said...

Happy Bday, Shey!

Unknown said...

I’m not so much worried about Plaxico (that’s what I’m calling him until I hear differently!) inheriting Josh’s calves, I’m more worried about the things Josh will teach him…like…how to pee in your dogs mouth, or burp with such disgust that you’re sure all that he ate is coming up, or sleep with his cowboy boots on, because he doesn’t like his shoes off, or prefer running around naked rather than clothed (I don’t want to know if this hasn’t changed now that he’s older!!!). One thing for sure, when your baby boy is all grown up and having a baby boy of his own, you will find yourself with a lump in your throat that keeps you from swallowing, that tears sting your eyes with the mere thought of another boy like yours in the world, and you will remember the pure, sweet joy you have enjoyed, from the moment he was born.

Rev. April said...

hang in there shey! it sounds to me like you are doing great. being pregnant is so hard...